Whenever you visit an Italian restaurant abroad you are most likely to be offered Tiramisu for Dessert. It is easy to make and does not take a lot of time. 10 minutes of preparation time and 4 hours of refrigeration is all it takes to be served at dinner parties or just enjoyed as a “pick me up” anytime!
· 5 Eggs
· 1/4 cup sugar
· 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 cup mascarpone cheese, softened (500 grams)
· 2 Packages of Ladyfingers
· 2 small cups of espresso coffee
· 2 tablespoons of Frangelico or Marsala wine/Rum/ Amarula/Port/Irish Cream
· Bittersweet chocolate and/or coca-powder
1) Separate the eggs. Whisk together egg yolks, sugar & vanilla until fully blended. Add in the mascarpone and create a smooth mixture. Refrigerate the mixture.
2) Beat the egg to a medium peak. Fold it into the mascarpone mixture.
3) Mix espresso coffee and liquor (traditionally it is done with Marsala wine however it will work with any of the liquors mentioned above). Dip ladyfingers (if making to serve in cups break them into small pieces) into the mixture. (Make sure it is fully soaked. Creating a cake do not leave ladyfingers in a coffee liquor mixture for too long as it will be too soggy)
4) For a cake, place one layer of ladyfingers and spread the cream evenly over it. Repeat with a second layer, once finished grind the bittersweet chocolate or add coco powder on top.
5) Refrigerate for 4 hours and Buon Appetito!