There are perks to traveling solo which you will never experience if you travel with a group of friends, family or significant other! Below are my favorite things to do when traveling solo, what are yours?
1) Experiencing a nice cup of coffee. There is nothing better than to sit in a coffee shop in a new city. Not only is it a way to spend some peaceful time reading your book, people watching and experiencing new flavors, but it is a great way to get to know the city from a local’s perspective.
|Blue Lagon, Jamaica|
2) Stare at the Ocean. There is something peaceful about water. It also stimulates you to do some soul searching and/or day dream. Not only is reflection healthy from time to time but also it’s a welcomed break especially in today’s fast paced world.
3) Hiking. When you hike in big groups of people, it is almost impossible to catch a glimpse of certain animals as the noise levels will scare them away. If you are on your own, they are more likely to show themselves to you.
|East Berlin looking to the West|
4) Make friends from around the world. When I traveled alone, I not only met amazing people whom I am still friend with today but I also managed to meet strangers who told me very personal and interesting stories about themselves. This is probably the biggest advantage to traveling solo, which unfortunately many people miss out on. As they move on to travel with friends, husbands/wives and their families, they become closed off to the rest of the world while traveling the world.
5) Take interesting photographs. I often found that I took the best photos when I was alone. Not sure if it was because I had nothing better to do or because I was truly absorbed by a new place but for whatever reason, I had the best perspective!
Leave A Comment